Pages

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

How to make HOME MADE SHIMMER MIST
plus BACKGROUND & CARD

Scroll to the bottom to see the card!

Hello everyone! I've been having fun making my own "shimmer mist" and thought I'd share this recipe with you today! It's hard to see in the picture, but when you spray this on paper or cardstock, this spray creates a beautiful, shimmering pearl effect after it dries!

YOU WILL NEED:
L.A. Colors Shimmering Loose Eyeshadow (purchased at Dollar Tree)
Warm water
Rubbing Alcohol
Clear Glue
4 ounce spray bottle

Remove sprayer top from bottle. Cut tube so that it will sit 1/8" to 1/4" off the bottom of the bottle (so that the mica powder doesn't clog the tube or sprayer tip).

Add 2 3/4 ounces of warm tap water.

Add 1 ounce of rubbing alcohol.

Add about 1 - 1 1/2 tsp. of clear glue (this helps the mica powder stick to the cardstock).

Add about 1/2 of a bottle of eyeshadow. On a piece of copy paper creased in the middle & opened, tap the upside down eyeshadow container onto the paper.These containers are oddly designed, so you will need to work at this, it will not come out easily. Once you have about 1/2 the bottle on the paper, fold the paper in half at the crease & carefully pour the eyeshadow into your spray bottle.

Put the cap back on and gently swirl the bottle round & round to mix well. DO NOT SHAKE! If you need to, take a swizzle stick to blend the glue at the bottom well.

 

These are the two shimmer mist background pieces I created to use in my card and the 4 shimmer mist sprays I made - purple, gold, pink & blue.

The larger piece is 4.75" x 6.75 inch white text weight paper. I sprayed the pink & gold randomly on this & dried with my heat gun. It is normal for the paper to curl as it dries. You can straighten it with a brayer or a warm iron later, or use as is!

The smaller piece is 4" x 5.25 inch 65# white cardstock. I wanted a distressed look for this piece, so after spraying with pink, gold, purple & blue shimmer mists, I gently crinkled up the CS into a little ball, then straighten out before drying with the heat gun. I thought it was too light the first time, so I repeated the process & I just loved how this one turned out after the second application!

THE CARD!


To make this card, I used a pink 5 x7" card. I attached the light pink shimmer paper, then the smaller multi-color piece on top of that. I added the Anna Griffin Butterfly (Anna's All About Him & Her Die Cuts) with pop dots, then cut the frame from white CS and attached with Zig glue.  Next I added the floral die cuts (All About Him & Her). I cut the "Happy" & "Birthday" from Anna Griffin's Wishful Thinking Dies and attached with Zig Glue. The final step was to add the pearls. This picture just doesn't do the shimmery effect justice!

As always, I hope I've helped to inspire your creativity! Happy stamping & crafting! Smiles, Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment