Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

DRY EMBOSSED BACKGROUNDS
Skill Level: Easy          Card Size: A2

Hello! I'm so happy, I am listening to the first thunderstorm of the year - Yay! Spring feels like it's actually here and I've got some spring-like cards to share with you today to celebrate. In these cards, I want to show what a difference an embossed background can make in the overall appearance of a card. And you'll get to see a little of my design process!


Okay, so in the first card you can see I've got some cute puffy flower stickers, some ribbon, a pretty pink background and my birthday sentiment. I think its okay (my 3 year old granddaughter would LOVE this - it has STICKERS!) but it's really kind of boring & blah, nothing really "pops".



Now in the second card, you can see flower stickers, ribbon with birthday sentiment, and -- oooh, I'm liking it better already - a lovely mint chevron embossed background! Funny here, the mint color background does not match any of the stickers, but the chevron pattern detracts the eye from that fact, so it works. This card pops, I like it! My 39-year-old-and-counting-backwards sister-in-law would go BANANAS over this one!


In the final card, there are only two puffy flower stickers, no ribbon, 3 brads, the birthday sentiment AND an embossed pink background with a twist - I picked up white chalk ink with my brayer (Brilliance Moonlight White Ink would also work here) and lightly rolled it over the embossed pink surface! It really softened up the whole card and made it pop! Notice there is no ribbon & not much bling at all on this one, yet it is still an attractive card. I think I'll give this one to my mother-in-law --- because I LIKE HER, not because I don't, if ya catch my drift! LOL!

Try experimenting with your embossing folders & see what you can come up with! And be sure to stop in tomorrow - I'll be sharing another card using ink directly on the embossing folder. I hope I've helped to inspire your creativity today! Happy embossing & smiles, Laura

2 comments:

  1. These are really cute and your tutorial makes it easy for a begginer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, thank you! I've been creating cards & stamping for 23+ years, but love to go back to the beginning sometimes... I'll never forget how new it all was back then!

    ReplyDelete